Monday, August 24, 2009

Favorite Ads

I Tweeted/Facebooked a request to my friends: Tell me your favorite ad (broadcast, print, etc.). Here are some of the responses.

VW Pink Moon (From Cole)

I vividly remember this commercial. What makes me laugh now is, from what one can actually see of the car, how out-of-date the Cabrio actually looks in the present. However, I remember it being a popular commercial and I attribute much of that to the calming, nostalgic feel of the commercial that is still very opposite of most car commercials that focus on the fast, powerful feeling of driving the advertised card.

"Bff Jill?" for Cingular (From Ellen)

Honestly I have yet to meet a person that doesn't like this commercial. Male or female, I've often heard "IDK, my BFF Jill?" quoted. Plus, the over-usage of the text lingo was comparable with filming the commercial in a different language... the viewers is drawn to watching just to figure out what is even being said. It still makes me laugh.

Think Before You Speak for AdCouncil (From Katelyn)

Unfortunately due to the small amount of air time PSAs receive, most people have not seen this commercial. Admittedly, I think I have only seen it once or twice. What I respect about AdCouncil PSAs is the use of comedy to draw the attention of viewers to become familiar with the issue being advertised. My favorite part of this commercial is the bluntness of having "Knock it off" at the end and the complete nonchalant tone of the woman's voice when she explains the use of "That's so Emily and Julia." Nice pick, Katelyn!

Schick Quattro TrimStyle for Women (From most females I know)

I don't feel this commercial even needs an explanation of why it's a favorite of many women. It is appropriate in the sense that a young viewer is not likely to understand the changing shape of the shrubbery. For someone that gets it, it is simply hilarious, but in a subtle way.

Supermodelquins for Old Navy (From various supermodelquins fans)

Personally, I am not a fan of the Supermodelquins. I think the commercials are cheesy and kind of dumb. What I am a fan of is how well these ads transition from television to in-store. When one enters an actual Old Navy store, the supermodelquins are there to greet them which instantly creates a connection from viewing the commercial to the actual brand experience.

There you have it, some of my friend's favorite ads (that, incidentally are all television ads).

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love the Schick Quattro commercial because yes, it is a little... suggestive and even gross, but it is CLEVER! They definately handled a very awkward topic (women's "bushes") very tastefully and, as you also mentioned, rather humorously. I love the way that few people outside of their target market will truly understand this ad. Well done Schick!